About this Blog

One of my dad's favorite things to say to my brothers and I is, if you'll listen, this old man will teach you some stuff. I don't know how well I've listened, but somewhere along the way he and many others have taught me some stuff. This blog is my attempt to share some of that stuff with others, if they'll listen! My hope is that it will be a place to offer care for my sojourners, to share the things we've learned and to carry one another along the way.

Monday, July 11, 2011

A Handmaiden of the Lord

As I've shared over the last several months, I have been blessed with many wonderful teachers and witnesses to the truth and none more precious to me than my mother!  I admire her unrelenting (sometimes downright stubborn) faith more than I can tell you. Over the next few weeks, I would like to share my mother with each of you as she writes of  truths she has learned and shared with me along our way.    

You will want to listen!
Ronda


My mother standing
in front of the church her
dad began in Glen Rose
My first memory as a child was at a Cottage Prayer Meeting.  I was about three.  My Dad had started an Assembly of God church in Glen Rose, Texas.  When we went to the prayer meeting Mother sat my older brother, my sister and me down at a specific place where we were to stay until the meeting was over.  No noise was allowed.  The only options that were available to us were to look or listen.  There were just a few people, but they knew how to get in touch with God for their needs.  As a child I was just listening.  I can still hear the sound of people interceding for others, and waiting in the presence of God, then the sound of praise and thanksgiving when the answer comes.    It was not loud; rather it was like a quiet hush that went up to the throne room of God as simple people of faith poured out their particular needs to their heavenly Father. God knew while I was yet in my Mother’s womb that I am an auditory learner and He allowed me to be present at such a meeting more than once.  What I took from there was the sound of earnest prayer, waiting on God, and rejoicing when the answer comes.  My life has taught me to interpret the meaning of those sounds.

Our family, during my parent's
first pastorate.
Years later I was a young pastor’s wife attending an early morning prayer meeting at the district minister’s retreat in Monroe, Louisiana.  This particular morning there was one preacher standing with his face to the wall and his posture said he was agonizing before God with a great need. There were pastors and their wives kneeling at the altars and pews all around the auditorium.  I was seated on a pew just absorbing the atmosphere; listening to the sounds of earnest prayer.  I felt as though I was seated in His presence.  Then from behind me I heard someone say, "The handmaid of the Lord.”  I immediately turned to see who had spoken, but no one was behind me.  I looked around and noticed that no one else had responded to the words.   I realized God had spoken to me.  It was a calling to a greater service and a preparation for what lay ahead.  My times are in your hands.  Psalms 31:15a

As I began to read Luke 1: 26-38 the Word began to leap from the page into my heart.  Then I began to write what the Lord was whispering in my heart.  Following is a summary of these whisperings.    

At a set time in the history of mankind the angel Gabriel was sent by God with an individualized message to a particular person in an exact place with a certain set of circumstances. He brought a declaration of favor, an assignment, and words of encouragement about the assignment.  

 In the next few weeks I want to share some of these truths with you. 

Many Blessings,
Virginia

I find it funny that my mother attaches her learning to sounds. When I was growing up, the one thing she couldn't stand was noise, particularly in the morning! (Mirror, Mirror on the wall!)  Although, she did describe "quiet" in both experiences, didn't she?  While she never told us to "shut up" - that was a curse word at our house - she could say "be quiet" firmer than anyone I know!

No comments: